Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Reading Notes (B): Celtic Fairy Tales

King O'Toole and His Goose

King O'Toole was an active old man whose health eventually began to fail him. In order to make himself feel better, he got himself a goose that helped him do all his usual active daily tasks. This was all good and well until the goose itself got old and worn out from being so active. King O'Toole was once again sad and angry at his miserable old age. One day, a man approaches the King, who happens to be Saint Kavin. Saint Kavin offers the King to make his old goose new again, which makes the King extremely happy and excited. Before healing the goose, Saint Kavin asks for the land that the goose flies over and the King agrees to give it to him He stays true to his word, and after the goose is flying like new again, he tells the Saint that the last acre of land he has is his. This is when Saint Kavin reveals himself and blesses the King until both the King and the goose die. I think this story would be great to base my own story off of because I like the idea of deception for a good cause. I could definitely change it up to make it more modern, but I like the background of this story. I could make a more modern story of a undercover cop fooling an upstanding citizen or something of the sort. I'm not sure how I would incorporate a goose into a modern story, but maybe I could use another animal or object to take place of the goose. I could also throw in a big twist in the original story and have King O'Toole go back on his word and write about the consequences of that decision. I think that would be an interest side of the story to include. Overall, there are many ways for me to expand upon this story that I'm excited to see how it turns out.

King O'Toole's goose; Wikipedia
Bibliography

Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15 Review: Staying Creative

My favorite item from some of the recent announcements is this picture showing 29 different ways to remain creative. 29 ways to stay cre...