Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 13 Storytelling: Mouse Escapes

"What do I do now?" thought Mouse as he spiraled down Cat's esophagus and into his stomach. He bounced a few times upon landing before finally coming to a stop. It was dark and moist inside Cat's stomach and there was also a strong, putrid acidic smell emanating from all sides.

Mouse was upset that he had been foolish enough to believe Cat's false stories. He should have known that Cat was leaving the house to eat all the food they had stored up for the winter. Cat wasn't even his real friend, now that he had tried to eat Mouse. Not only did Mouse not have any food for the winter, he was basically almost dead! He was lucky that Cat had swallowed him in a hurry instead of taking the time to properly chew him up. Now he had to find a way out before the digestive juices in Cat's stomach located him and tried to break him down! There was surely no way to combat the acid without suffering severe burns. He decided the only way out was to continue moving downstream through Cat's digestive system. Down Mouse went, through the stomach to the small and large intestines, and finally near the bladder where he knew he could exit.

In the bladder, Mouse was met with another rotten smell. This time he knew exactly what it smelled like even though he tried his hardest not to think about it. All he knew was that he had to escape before Cat's body did something to him that would lead to a slow, painful death. He plunged into Cat's bladder and made quite some progress before he was met with a dead-end. 

"Now what?" thought Mouse as he became more and more exasperated. He had to find a genius way to escape from the depths of Cat's digestive system, but the only thing he could think of was to chew his way out from inside Cat's body. He was a mouse after all, and mice are fortunate to have sharp teeth that can gnaw their way through many different things. It was a long shot, but he had to try: his life depended on it. So Mouse did the only thing he could: he bit into the insides of Cat and started to gnaw his way through to the outside. It wasn't an easy or clean task (I'll save you all the gory details), but with a little time and patience, Mouse burst through Cat and landed outside, back in the real world.

At the same time, Cat felt a sudden sharp pain in his lower stomach as Mouse burst out and fell to the ground. Cat was astonished! He had never seen anything like this. But Cat didn't have time to be surprised. He had a hole in his stomach and was bleeding out!

"Help me!" Cat yelled to Mouse in obvious pain.

Mouse took one quick glance at Cat and sped off. Who did Cat think he was to take advantage of Mouse, steal their food, and eat him with the intent to kill and then still try and ask for help? Mouse chuckled and went off to search for food and shelter in order to survive the winter season.

Tom and Jerry; Flickr

Author's Note

The original story, called Cat and Mouse in Partnership, is about a cat and mouse who decide to live with each other through the winter season. Together, they round up some food to save for winter and then store it inside a church so that no one dares to steal it. The next day, Cat makes up an excuse that he is to be a godfather and has to leave the house all day. In reality, Cat actually sneaks off to the church and eats the pot of fat that they foraged for and stored for the winter. When winter finally arrives and they're no longer able to find food outside, they head to the church to retrieve the pot of fat. Of course, Cat has eaten it all and Mouse becomes extremely angry when he pieces it together and realizes what had happened. However, before Mouse can say anything, it's already too late: Cat leans down and swallows Mouse whole. This is where the story leaves off in the original text. I wanted to write about what happens after to the Mouse. I didn't think it was sufficient for the Mouse to die so pathetically, so I decided to add an epic escape from inside Cat. I also wanted karma to come around and get Cat for being cruel, so that's why I decided to have Mouse just take off after he escaped. The original story also reminds me of the show Tom and Jerry, so that's why I included the image that I did.

Bibliography

Brothers Grimm from Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales by Dan Ashliman

8 comments:

  1. Parth, this story definitely did give me flashbacks to the cartoon days of Tom and Jerry so I am glad that you incorporated a picture of that! Your story definitely was a little bit gruesome but it did not really bother me at all (might bother others however). The mouse got super lucky that the cat did not chew him up into tiny little pieces! I am glad that the mouse was able to bite through the side of the cat and not be dissolved by the cat’s stomach acid! I do think it is a little weird that the cat did not feel the mouse biting through his stomach a little bit earlier though. I am glad that the mouse decided not to help the cat because the cat did not care for the mouse at all. It was definitely a story of survival and I was glad that I read it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poor mouse! I've read that story before about how the cat tricked the mouse and lied about going to visit his godchildren. I don't know if your version had tongue-in-cheek names about how he was visiting a kitten called Half-Off (for half off the food), and so on, but that was my most favorite part! Anyway great story if a bit gruesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Tom and Jerry. That's literally so much of what my mind was remembering when reading through this story. It's such an all-time great, and i got to the bottom and saw the picture you chose and was like...YES!
    Anyways, I love the twist that you put on it. I was not expecting it at all. The mouse totally out-smarted the cat, and ended up escaping, so cool. I mean, what an escape that would have to be for a mouse to succeed in the escape from inside a cat!
    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, this is definitely something I would expect to see in an episode of Tom and Jerry! It is actually surprising to think back on the things that were in that show. So much violence! I liked the way the mouse thought through the situation of being in the cat's digestive system. Sometimes the best solution is the obvious solution!a

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Parth! I was not sure what to expect from this story at first. When I was reading it in the beginning, I was like "Hmm...this is kind of strange." Lol. I ended up thoroughly enjoying the story though. Knowing what I do about anatomy, it made me chuckle to think of the mouse going through the digestive system and into the bladder to wait for his escape. I laughed because it is not quite how it works but it added an unexpected humorous aspect for me. I thought it was very interesting that you chose to tell the story from a literal different perspective (INSIDE the cat). I like how the story came full-circle and resulted in bad karma for the cat. I thought it was pretty smart of the mouse to just leave and not help the cat. I also liked that you included a picture of Tom and Jerry. I could definitely picture an episode like this on that show! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice story this week! I think that it was really creative and fun. It liked how you took your original story and continued it so that we would know how the story truly ended. I liked how you didn’t let the mouse die after being eaten by the cat, but instead let him escape and survive. It was sad that the cat had to die, but I guess it served him right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Parth! I thought this story was brilliant. It really did remind me of Tom and Jerry! I didn’t know what to expect at first, but I really liked it and I liked how you wanted to make Mouse have an epic escape. Your story was really creative and slightly disgusting because of the digestive tract scenery, but it worked well with the plot of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Parth! Great story man! I had a similar thought process when it came to what would have happened to Mouse after he got gobbled up by Cat. I'm glad that Cat got what was coming to him! Haha. I think it's crazy that Cat and Mouse were friends at all to begin with! That just goes against the entire natural order! Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Review: Staying Creative

My favorite item from some of the recent announcements is this picture showing 29 different ways to remain creative. 29 ways to stay cre...