Saturday, January 21, 2017

Growth Mindset

I found the growth mindset to be an intriguing topic to consider. I actually remember reading about something like this in my cognitive psychology course last summer, although the name Carol Dweck wasn't associated with it. It basically revolved around the concept of neuroplasticity, the idea that you can rewire the neurons in your brain to think and perceive things in a different way. When applied to the growth mindset, you can see the implications it has on school performance and other tasks. People who believe their intelligence is fixed, or stable, tend to not put as much effort into learning and studying because they think it's pointless. In contrast, people who believe that intelligence can grow based on effort and hard work, generally are the ones that see the most success in difficult tasks. As the semester goes on, I look forward to learning more about the growth mindset because I think it's a concept that goes a long way when it comes to practicality. Anyone can grow and prosper if they apply this thinking to their everyday lives!

Image from Growth Mindset Memes blog

2 comments:

  1. Hi Parth! I have also learned/heard about the rewiring of neurons in the brain and ways that they can make connections with other things in your brain and network them together. I do believe that anyone can grow and prosper as you mentioned but it is definitely important for them to strive for it and not expect it to just happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Parth! I hadn't heard about neuroplasticity prior to reading your post but it sounds really interesting! I can definitely see the application of it and the outlook it can produce for people. The human mind adapts to habits, it would be interesting to challenge that. I hope you were able to fulfill your growth mindset goals for this semester, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Review: Staying Creative

My favorite item from some of the recent announcements is this picture showing 29 different ways to remain creative. 29 ways to stay cre...