Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Reading Notes (A): Apache Tales

The Emergence

This story begins in the underworld, which I thought was pretty interesting. The people then come up from the underworld to the earth that we know today. I found it to be pretty unique that the Apache believed that people originally began in the underworld before coming up and inhabiting the earth as we know it today. The people used ladders to climb a great mountain into the upper world. As they climbed up, the ladders wore out, leaving an old couple behind in the lower world. I noticed that the number four was mentioned multiple times in this beginning story. I'm beginning to think it's a theme that the Apache believe in.

The First War

Again, I'm seeing the number four pop up multiple times throughout this story. It may be a traditional number that is sacred to them that has a specific purpose. It may be auspicious is some regard. I could use this theme in my story for the week and build off of it. A grandson kills his grandfather in the first war because the grandfather initially shot the grandson in the arm with an arrow,

The Culture Heroes and Owl

Two companions ask their grandmother to make them something to play with, She defers to their father, who seems to be the sun, and they go to visit him. He makes them a hoop and pole game with arrows and warns them not to roll the hoop toward the north. Of course, they roll the hoop to the north and it ends up in a fire at the house of Owl. The Owl chops up the kids and cooks them in a pot of stew to eat, but the kids seem to be alive and fine! The Owl lets them go with their hoop and pole and they continue to play until sunset. This was interesting, although I didn't know if there was supposed to be a point to this story. Definitely good material that I could use for my story this week. I think I know what I will be writing about!

An owl looking into the distance; Wikipedia
Bibliography

Apache Tales by P.E. Goddard 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15 Review: Staying Creative

My favorite item from some of the recent announcements is this picture showing 29 different ways to remain creative. 29 ways to stay cre...